Improve conversion rate for Promote

Increase digital ad purchases by reducing the friction for agents within the purchase funnel.

Awaiting results of this project

*All information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of MoxiWorks.

Fixing a leak

After a couple years of launching our digital advertising product, Promote, we still weren’t getting the results we expected. The product manager identified a major leak in our conversion funnel. 78% of users were dropping off before they even got into the ad creation flow. They stopped at the first step, which teaches them about the product, but also forces them to decide on an ad placement. The PM and I believed that if we could get them past that first hurdle, we would see an increase in purchases.

Previous funnel

Focusing our efforts on improving the front-end of the funnel would increase the number of people getting to checkout.

Gather feedback

We wanted to gather a group of users who abandoned their cart to participate in a usability study of our current offering. Unfortunately we were in a time crunch and scheduling real estate agents is one of the hardest parts of this job. They are busy people and frequently have to cancel. We knew our current experience could be improved upon, so we decided on a Plan B.

Plan B

We settled for talking to our Account Management and Support teams about what they are hearing in the field. We gathered that agents were familiar with Facebook advertising, but unsure how they could do that from MoxiWorks. Our language was confusing and they were unclear how it would benefit their business. 

Incumbent design

Facebook ad type

When we introduced News Feed placement into the product we forced the user to make a decision up front. If users didn’t know the difference they may abandon the flow right away.

At some point the 20 second video turned into 50+ seconds because we were pointing to a Vimeo video online that was updated without the product team’s knowledge. Yikes.

Motivators were hidden

The main value props for the product were buried down the page. Many users may not get this far down the page to understand the value it can provide them.

Lengthy instructions

For being able to create an ad in 3 quick steps, the instructions sure seemed lengthy and confusing.

20 second video…almost

Product MadLibs

I recently took a class called Product Management for Designers at IxD19 in Seattle. In it, I learned about a lean exercise called Product Mad Libs, where after understanding the user, you run through a series of questions to form a hypothesis for the product. While we weren’t creating a new product, I liked the idea of forming a hypothesis about the issue, our assumptions on how to solve it, and what outcome we would use to measure it.

Product MadLibs

Hypothesis

We believe agents are confused about the Promote product and how it can help them with their business. This is keeping them from entering the purchase flow.

Assumptions

Reducing the number of steps in the funnel will improve the purchase rate. Currently there are 5 pages within the funnel.

Adding a value prop to the main page of My Advertisements will increase the number of people who proceed to Step 1 of the purchase flow.

Measurement

We will have confidence that this worked when we see a 10% increase in users reaching step 1.

By forming a hypothesis about the problem and testing our assumptions, we place our focus on learning rather than simply building a feature.

New funnel

With our assumptions in hand, we set out to optimize the conversion funnel.

Early wireframes focused on educating agents on the benefits of digital advertising.

Learn page

Nail the messaging

Our previous messaging confused agents and kept them from proceeding to the next step, so we reached out to Marketing for help. They provided some updated value props for us to use and we worked together to write the copy. We now had messaging that resonated with agents and reinforced our messaging outside the product.

The intangibles

Build trust

With our previous design, we didn’t do a whole lot to build trust with our users. This is obviously important when that user is going to exchange money for a service, but even more when they are doing it digitally. We needed to build trust right away with the customer. To do this we included logos of trusted brands they could advertise on, and quotes from real people who’ve advertised using this product.

Feel the excitement

The design lacked energy. I believe that products are as much about how they make you feel as what they can accomplish for you. This product was all about exceeding their clients expectations so we wanted to portray that up front.

Make it simple

Some agents are reluctant to learn new technology. They’ve been burned so many times in the past from brokerages switching tools on them. We needed to communicate that this wasn’t another tool they’d have to learn. It’s a simple process that takes less than 5 min to create an ad.

Placed high importance on showcasing the many places agents can place their ads.

Final visuals

At first glance we wanted agents to get excited about creating their first ad.

Explain the benefits immediately and provide further information with a video.

Build a level of trust by displaying social reviews from satisfied customers. 

Takeaways

As of now, the team is still awaiting results from these changes. We have confidence that we will see an improvement, but have no data to back that up yet. 

For me personally, I enjoyed being able to improve upon an existing feature by using data to identify where improvements needed to be made. By analyzing the current sales funnel, the PM and I identified where to focus our efforts to make the biggest impact. We took a lean approach to this project by forming a hypothesis of what the issue was and our assumptions to fixing it. 

View the full story on a larger screen size